Live Coverage of Final Isle of Wight Hustings (Update 9)

Listen in for live coverage of the last hustings

VB have just arrived at the last Island public hustings where five of the eleven parliamentary candidates are facing the public.

Live Coverage of Final Isle of Wight Hustings (Update 1)Please refresh / reload your browser to see the latest updates. We will endeavour to report presentations and discussions as accurately as possible. Text surrounded by () signifies VB’s comments.

[19:34] Starting. Introductions going on. About 20 people in audience. Five candidates present.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe (Ind): Island politics, not national. Parliamentary paper for the Island.

Form a group of people, so input from public isn’t just once every four years.

(Not sure audio recording will be good – quite noisy in here. In main bar)

Lots of talent on the Island – don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to look after things for ourself

[19:40] Update 1
Ian Dunsire (English Democrats): English Values – Language, honesty, trust. Fair deal for English voter. Balance the amount of money spent on England compared with Scotland and Wales. Locally would fight for jobs.

Mark Chiverton (Lab): Disappointing that Tories and Lib Dems aren’t here. Born and bred Islander. Trade union work. Election is at an important time. Good that the election is so open this time.

Fox hunting banned by Labour. Decent jobs are needed. Want to campaign for public services for the Island. Pensions is also important. Green jobs.

(Applause)

Peter Harris (Ind): Won’t talk about the obvious. Spirit of the UK has gone down. Asking about the EU + getting out. About a 1/5 of audience held up hand. Policing – speed camera daft, better to have them trying to catch real criminals. Work-shy are a problem. We need to fight our own corner.

(Applause)

[19:50] Update 2
Paul St-John Martin (Middle England): 60 in two weeks. Was a farmer – now wealth manager. Economy is in a lot of trouble. The ship is sinking – Labour and Conservative are rearranging the deck chairs.

It’s not about the money – need to get the basics sorted first.

All done.

(VB and the “alternative new media’ on the Island just got a big up – and applause!)

Public questions
Don Smith: shame Andrew Turner didn’t turn up

Ian Dunsire (ED): Turner isn’t being honest

Q: what do you think of tactical voting. What do you think?

Mark Chiverton (Lab): Vote on the conviction of the candidate. It’s at least a three cornered fight, or four, on the Island.

LibDem very cynical: Say vote for us in South – keep out Labour – in North – keep out Tories.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe (Ind): I think there needs to be a complete shake up. Should be a local rep and a government separately. I propose that all candidates should work together after the election

Paul St John Martin (MidEng): Local vote is the most important.

Pete Harris (Ind): Don’t do it tactically, vote locally.

Paul St John Martin (MidEng): People need to do sync heads and hearts. We’ve got to change away from two party system

[20:00] Update 3
Q: Why is waiting time at St Mary’s so long? Four hours I had to wait with an appointment.

Mark Chiverton (Lab): Person who is elected MP – first thing meet with key services. Also regular surgeries. If Tories get in, it will be a complete catastrophe. Tories had control for 17 years, and had massive waiting lists for hospitals. Labour have brought it way down. Lib Dem sums never add up.

Pete Harris (Ind): Bureaucracy is way out of control. Must be brought down.

Paul (ME): I agree with Pete.

Ian/Paul (??): I’ve had a great experience with health service. Mark is being disingenuous – there will be big cuts no matter who gets in.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe: There is a board that these things can be taken to. They have a goat ad on the bus stop.

(Thank goodness there’s free WiFi here – no mobile reception)

Q: Lorraine: I’m 64. My view has always been the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Mark – you’re ruled by your party, not your own views

Mark Chiverton (Lab): I’ve stood against the party probably more than anyone. I am not a government stooge. Failure of Labour over 13 years – a widening of the gap between the rich and poor. Those that earn more should pay more. That’s one reason why people have lost faith.

[20:10] Update 4
Q: Claire: Why hasn’t Gordon Brown been to the Island?

Mark Chiverton (Lab): None of the parties have sent senior people to the Island.

Chair (David Holmes): Let’s widen this out

Paul Randle-Jolliffe (Ind): I completely agree. We (the people) are ignored and swept to one side. I’m not prepared to put up with it any more – no matter how if I win. Appalled at the corruption at all levels.

(Applause)

Ian Dunsire (ED): I think the Island is viewed as a cosy Tory backwater.

Pete Harris (Ind): The people who caused the crash are still getting massive salaries. It’s not going to change at this election, but there is a revolutionary nature emerging.

(Applause)

Paul St-John Martin (ME): We’re supposed to live in a democracy. Where the majority should have their view. It’s clear we don’t live in a democracy – you, my friends, are cannon fodder.

Q: How many people live on the IW?

Various answers about right-ish.

142k – you’re all politicians tell us what we want to hear. You should know.

[20:20] Update 5
Q: The Island personal GDP is half that of the Mainland. What about IWC contracts? Like PFI. How can Islanders benefit from it?

Ian Dunsire: One of our policies is to leave Europe. We can’t have local contracts from IWC because of EU tendering.

Pete Harris: Some of the Road PFI companies aren’t even English, so money will leave the country, never mind the Island. Young people need supporting by training them to do the work.

Q: Are you saying that we should pay 20% more to have Island companies do it?

Q: France doesn’t follow directives, why should we?

Ian Dunsire: There should be an insistence that a %age of people are Islanders.

Mark: Island roads have never been worse. Labour should be retained here on the Island. One of the things I’ll be pushing for is making sure people are local.

(I’ve been missing applause from audience – too many words)

Q: Is everyone aware of why the Island roads are bad?

(I want to see how in touch the people up these are)

Paul St-John Martin (ME): It’s because the Island is moving the whole time.

Questioner: That’s totally correct. It’s not down to Tory/Labour

Mark: Many of the roads were build on top of rough tracks, so not a good foundation.

Q: I asked the PFI question. The PFI will be one big contract and then broken down to sub-contracts. We need to start building the skills on the Island to fulfil those. I don’t think a big contract (as IWC wants) will save money. It’s introduced inefficiencies.

DH Q: Why can’t we invent money for the roads, like we did for the Banks?

Mark Chiverton: There’s always a choice on where to spend money.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe: The core of question, what would we do for Island people. My act of Parliament would address this.

[20:30] Update 6
Questioner: We don’t have work for lots of trades people who live here. We need to regenerate the Island. My vote goes to whoever has ideas for getting work in.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe: Why doesn’t our community form a company to handle the contract?

Pete Harris: We’d be a lot better off if the IWC council was full of Independents not Party linked councillors.

[20:40] (Sorry missed loads – connection dropped)

Mark: The Tories started the deregulation of the finance world.

Q: Other Islands like Guernsey – look after their own.

If they can do it, we should be able to do it

Paul Randle-Jolliffe: I’m not saying independence – I’m saying inter-dependence. It’s about taking our own decisions.

[20:44] Update 7
Q: Last 14 years Island police have targeted my family. I have no Police record. Several IPCC complaints against the Island police that have been upheld. I didn’t think I’d be fighting the police at the age of 72. What do you think about family issues?

Pete Harris: What has Andrew Turner done?

Questioner: He’s been wonderful.

Ian Dunsire: I’m please AT done a good job for you – as an MP that’s what he should be doing

Mark Chiverton: These are clearly complex issues. Glad AT has done well for you.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe: This area concerns me a lot. The whole area is shrouded in secrecy. Even the minister is not allow to know

Questioner: The rest of Europe doesn’t do It like this

[20:52] Update 8
New Q: The cuts in social care on the Island are very worrying over the next few years.

Mark Chiverton: Demos already. It’s essential that the most vulnerable are protected. There are many on the IW. [20:53:19] Simon Perry: Genuine concern that a Tory gov would give major tax cuts for the rich

Paul St-John Martin: This is about the distribution of wealth. The legal profession is corrupt. A revolution would change this. We need to challenge the thieves

Pete Harris: We’re not looking after the most vulnerable. IWC spending far too munch money on a large legal department and communications. Let’s take care of this and tale it to pieces.

Ian Dunsire: We’re in for the next few years

Paul Randle-Jolliffe: Some of the legal profession I’d call criminal.

Mark Chiverton: The local authority has done such a small amount of consultation, it’s been appalling.

Geoff Lumley: Local council is making the decision to do these cuts, that they don’t need. If you vote Tory tomorrow, what cuts you’ve seen at IWC will happen at Westminster.

[21:02] Update 9
Don Smith: Thanks to everyone involved – I’ve got to go, it’s tablet time.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe: All the schools are legally obliged to be available for free for hustings.

*end*

Wightfibre sponsors the Isle of Wight News by OnTheWight

Wednesday, 5th May, 2010 7:37pm

ShortURL: http://wig.ht/26Hn

Filed under: Election, Island-wide, Isle of Wight News, Live coverage

1. mrs james's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:11pm

Sounding good so far thanks be for free wifi…

• mrs james's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:16pm

Oh Claire from the BNP is there is the puppet there with her or still too scared of getting called a rasist again…???
      Well Done Lorraine…thats true…

• Pedant's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:23pm

If you are going to insult someone Mrs James, for crying out loud spell it correctly – it’s RACIST, not RASIST, you ignorant person. Well, if it’s ok for you to be objectionable, then it’s ok for me to do it too.

• N0.5's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:29pm

is bad spelling objectionable?

• Pedant's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:31pm

To me, YES.

• Zoiner's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:41pm

Not objectionable as such but its presence signals either the writer’s educational standard (which may or may not be down to them) or the degree of effort they deem necessary to make their posting comprehensible.

Either way it, perhaps wrongly, colours the opinion you develop of the writer and the credence you give to their views.

I am more concerned with grammatical and punctuation errors that make a post incomprehensible or require considerably more effort than a well prepared post.

Again you reach the point of dismissing the views simple because the writer has not been able to express himself or herself clearly.

• mrs james's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:39pm

I beg your pardon how did I insult someone…???
          My apologies for my typo I am a bit dislexyc sorry…
          Im sure you didnt mean to patronise me, really Im not ignorant but I am a Disabled Person with Multi Impairments and if that offends you then Im sorry…
          Anyway we are not here to abuse each other are we…

• I also find these spelling police rather objectionable, being a high funtioning and educated dyslexic (im a lucky one not everyone makes it) I got 11 or so good grade O levels, 4 A levels and studied for a degreee and score 125 – 140 on mensa IQ tests depending on my mood, but I cannot spell I have a letter blindness, what is obvious to you and some others I cannot see, but other things I see and you dont and i am years ahead on some things because I see patterns like most dyslexics.

So you who are word and spelling and grammer orientated please dont jump on us dyslexics, its not education its that we cannot do what you do, its like getting upset with some one with only one leg for not walking properly.

Do I make my point?

• hazel wyld's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

6.May.2010 8:12am

Dear mrs james,
            ignor all snobbish comments, we are all interested in your view point not your spelling!!!

2. N0.5's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:32pm

3. Sal's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:39pm

Anyone enjoying the fruits of our hard work once again tonight and hasn’t yet made a donation to covering the costs of running VB, please do consider it. Many thanks in advance.

• Zoiner's comment is rated +3 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:48pm

I shall be putting the remainder of my Blues LPs onto Ebay soon. Once I have built up my Paypal account again I will make a donation – Promise.

• N0.5's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 8:51pm

ohh..let me know

• keith hibdige's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 9:03pm

As a mainlander with an avid interest in the island i fear that you all have a lot to lose in the event of the forthcoming election who ever wins. I personally feel that the reason that the BNP are getting such a positive result is due to the FACT that the people of the uk are fed up with whats going on within the country they are using this party as a 2 fingered salute to the powers at be.

4. mrs james's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 9:10pm

@Sal
    I had decided because of tonight and other live reports that I would donate but now Im thinking maybe I should just pick up my ball, as someone suggested a while back and take my Ignorant bad spelling and unique way with words, my OCD … !!!and all my other health issues with me and just walk away (well scoot really) then I would not annoy anyone and I would not get patronised and discriminated against…
    Seems a shame if we cant live with a few typing and spelling errors but I dont feel very welcome here anymore so I will have to go where I am welcome…
    I bid you good night and Good Bye and thank you for the live coverage VB …

• N0.5's comment is rated +4 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 9:12pm

don’t worry about..dare say Mr pedant finds me offensive..but so what. It takes all types to make up an interesting forum/blog and sometimes you need broad shoulders.

Isn’t all this a bit like people talking in the audience at the theatre

• Zoiner's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 9:19pm

I wasn’t getting at you, just explaining how these things are looked at. I didn’t find your post at all problematic and was quite content to let the spelling by, especially given the speed with which we try and post on the blog.

• Margie's comment is rated +3 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 9:20pm

Wow, I’m sure that if Sal and Simon had given up as easily as soon as someone criticised them (i’ve seen plenty of nasty jibes online) then the blog would have disappeared a very long time ago, but they have carried on and we should be

• Margie's comment is rated +4 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 9:22pm

supporting them. Shame to deny them your intended donation and contributions just because someone has said something you don’t like. As NO5 says, it’s just someone in the audience. Don’t let them get to you.

• Sal's comment is rated +5 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 9:36pm

I’m very sorry to hear that you feel you have to leave. The diversity of comments here show that we welcome contributions from all our readers, regardless of their views and opinions, and grammar and spelling doesn’t even come into it. I do hope that you will reconsider and stick around.

• Don Smith's comment is rated +5 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.May.2010 10:39pm

Spelling errors – No problem, say it has you want.
      Most will get the gist. VB is the best thing since sliced bread:-)
      Those who are responsible for VB are to held in the highest esteem; they do an excellent job.

• Maybe I should slip into the colloquial of both being an Islander and with my IT background text speak?

This being an Island Digital Forum after all?

Ther wont b no propr splling lke nver thn wud thr?

Fakt mayb shld be awl using propr lik digtl n oil o wite speek her on ths blog thng awlways?

• Don Smith's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

6.May.2010 9:30am

There is no need to make spelling mistakes.

If a word is spelled incorrectly it will be underlined in red – Right click the word underlined by the red line and the correct word will appear on the (drop down) the correct spelling will appear.

Left click the correct spelling and the correct spelling will replace the incorrect word.

Without this facility I would write like a six year old.(No adverse replies please).

• Paul Randle-Jolliffe's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

6.May.2010 1:31pm

There is no spell check on this blog.

I do have an excuse I am dyslexic.

• Trevor's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

6.May.2010 1:39pm

Spellcheckers are not provided by the site you visit – they are provided by the software you are using.

You can download a free spellchecker for Firefox if you use that browser, I did and it saves me great embarrassment (such as getting that last word right, which my brain wouldn’t)

5. Paul Randle-Jolliffe's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

6.May.2010 1:42pm

Trevor whats the FF app called?