Everything Everywhere mobile signal? More like Nothing Nowhere from Orange

How’s your mobile reception on the Island? Appalling mobile reception from EE, Orange and T-Mobile results in many angry customers.

orange-serarching-for-network

Those living in the Ventnor and Bonchurch areas who are signed up to Orange or T-Mobile (Now re-branded Everything Everywhere, or EE) for their mobile service have been severely let down over the last six weeks.

Back in September 2012, Orange mobile reception disappeared completely from many parts of the town. This meant no calls in our out, or even text messages.

Texts not arriving
Those who travelled out of town to other parts of the Island got used to hearing the consecutive bleeping of their mobile phones, with messages starting to come onto their mobiles as they made they way further away from Ventnor.

Those who had no reason to leave the town, were obviously left unaware that their phone may have contained important phone or text messages.

Angry customers
On The Wight received many calls and emails from residents angry at the weeks of lack of service.

We put got in touch with the Orange press team, and discovered that their service was just as faulty as the mobile reception in Ventnor. Many back and forths resulted in only stock replies from the press team, with customer call centre teams giving more accurate information about the outtage.

On for a week, then off again
Three to four weeks into the loss of service, suddenly the Everything Everywhere (EE) service was turned on and most had normal service return to their mobiles.

Sadly it was short lived. Within a few days the mobile service disappeared yet again and has been gone for most of the week.

Paying for a service not received
This sort of service is appalling and many feel a breach in the contract that mobile users have with the company.

Many are paying a fixed monthly cost for a service they are not receiving.

How’s your mobile reception?
We’re keen to hear from other residents who have had problems with Orange or T Mobile service in Ventnor (or other parts of the Isle of Wight).

Update: Social media reaction
We know that some readers are not Social media user, so we’ve gathered the reactions of readers on Facebook and Twitter and put them below.

You can jump straight to the On The Wight comments below.

Bad Isle of Wight mobile reception

Storified by · Fri, Nov 09 2012 05:35:17

@onthewight no Tesco signal in haylands, arreton, brading or luccombe! (Even worse with an iPhone) #wantmybrickphonebackEmily Galt
@onthewight they need to focus on solid 3G in all towns rather than attempting 4G. Once again, we’re stuck in the Stone Age!Nate D
My signal is always fine, I find most people with bad signal have a prehistoric phone. We do live on an island, I don;t see how we can expect London standard facilities when we live in a rural area! Its the same in other rural areas on the mainland, its the payoff for living somewhere beautiful. Unless you want more aerials everywhere? Eyesore and possibly bad for your health!Kerstee ʚϊɞ Holden
Have had a nightmare since Orange switched to EE, no service on Ventnor Ind Est for weeks now, is affecting my work dreadfully, and Orange/EE have done nothing whatsoever, not replied to telephone calls…..spoke to someone in the shop in Newport who said they know the mast needs replacing…..Suzie Sumpter
Why should we pay full price for a service if we don’t receive it? If there was a you-don’t-get-full-service-so-we’ll-charge-you-less tarrif, perhaps everyone would be happier ^SimonIsle of Wight News from VentnorBlog
I think the point, Kerstee, is that we DID have a perfectly good signal and it has disappeared. (And I have the latest i-phone.)Suzie Sumpter
can’t understand it then as my signal (on orange, which has recently changed to EE) is fine, and I live in an appalling signal zone. I think people expect too much personally. If you can’t get the service in your area don’t sign up. Use landlines!Kerstee ʚϊɞ Holden
And O2!Heidi Wagstaff
@onthewight I’m on Vodafone. 3G outside of Shanklin is non existent. Frustrating, and also a massive drain on the battery hunting for signalNate D
o2 ok with meNiki Richardson
I haven’t had signal where I live for a year and Im on a contract. Told O2 and they can’t do anything. It’s rubbish. I have an iPhone, so it’s not the phone!Heidi Wagstaff
and vodafone i was without signal for 4 days last week,this has been happening for months now with vodafone i am in ryde.we did have a good signal all i got was a £10 refund off my next bill.customer services are rude on phone,sent emails saying it was my phone at fault when on the phone to them they said it was the mast wanted to cancel contract but they wouldnt have any of it…Louise Watson
I live in Ryde and have issues with Vodafone. My Blackberry loses it’s signal most days for hours at a time, very frustrating as I too pay for a contract. Grrrrrr…Jo Johnson
I live on Brighstone and the only way I can get signal on my iPhone & it’s just 1 nugget on my signal is to have it propt up in the lounge window, I’m on O2 and on contract, but as usual us Brits just put up with itHazel Hyslop
I’ve always wondered why the 3G coverage is ok in Ryde , but awful in and around Newport . Why is that?Rob Hayward
my signal on my blackberry on orange comes and goes like a yo yo everyday its a problem Linda Creed Was Williams
I’m on EE/orange-t mobile… My signal fine :)Jane Kingsofleon Followill
@onthewight @natedallimore Vodafone signal everywhere is shoddy, not been back to the IoW since the EE, but orange signal was always badJosh More
I’m on o2 and most of the time its emergency calls only,can’t wait for contract to end.Their customer services are very poor also.Sue Younghusband
Sandown.. went from orange (couldnt get normal phone signal, but fast mobile internet) – to o2 (get normal signal fine, but cant get internet!).. *sigh!Paul Gerfen
no signal on orange in ventnor since 27th sep ! they keep saying its "being repaired"..Dave De Hat Bradshaw
I used orange for a long time untill i found that my inland call were going to Frace and were then bounced back into the UK so my chages were international..I switched to Vodafonei get brilliant service from them highly reccommended…i am in St Lawrence.Tony Pooley
My Orange (EE) signal is absolutely fine too. Using an Android handset. If anything it’s got slightly better.Leeroy TMofo
Its just the isle of wight. We are about 5 years behind aerial updates. Whenever i go to mainlans its fine!!Rosie Curling
I,m with Talk mobile,never had any problemsSiobhan Crutcher
We r in ryde and can only get signal on our orange (EE) contract phones if we go upstairs!!!! Have been told our address should be ok for signal but its not. Been like this since we moved in 11 months agoHelen Vernau
o2 are always ok with me!Niki Richardson
When I am inside my living room or my down stairs bedroom I have ZERO reception. When I walk 2 meters outside the front or back door (And walk anywhere upstairs) I have full reception. Its highly annoying (as anyone who has ever been in my house would know). I clearly have Nazi Gold hidden in my downstairs’ walls.jono notbono
It’s difficult to pick on particular operators, as they all have areas of good and bad coverage – and they’re all different. I’ve been trying for years to work out who is "best" on the Island.These days, coverage for actual phone calls and texts seems pretty good for all networks, so my real concern is 3G coverage. Currently I’m with Vodafone, who are excellent in Cowes, Ryde and Sandown (for instance), but who have a virtually non-existent and unusable data signal in our busy county town of Newport!Because of this I’ve gone to the expense of buying a £15-a-month ‘mobile personal hotspot’ from O2 which I use for 3G data around Newport!Matt Edmunds
So many ‘emergency roamers’ above – no surprise mind.Andrew Cooper
in ventnor we have always had a crap reception.Pauline Brittan
I went with 3 for my latest contract. When I do get reception its excellent for surfing, but the coverage is so patchy its very frustrating. Nothing at the top of ryde but I do a get connection decent at home and newport.Fay Woodford

Location map
View the location of this story.

Wightfibre sponsors the Isle of Wight News by OnTheWight

Friday, 9th November, 2012 11:31am

ShortURL: http://wig.ht/2adX

Filed under: Isle of Wight News, Technology, Top story, Ventnor

1. jane nash's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 11:51am

My experience is exactly as above – off for nearly four weeks, then on again for about a week, and now off again. Phone starts beeping as I approach the new St Francis School ie the old Middle School site.
    As a mere pay as you go customer, what can I do about it? Indeed is there anything?

2. Strength in numbers's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 12:26pm

This is typical of the approach of Mainland companies. They don’t think the island matters. They think they can give us a second class service, while expecting us to pay first class prices.

If we spoke with one voice, they’d have to listen.

• richard's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 12:31pm

I had this problem with T mobile a few years ago. I switched to 3 who have mainly a good service – occasionally no signal on the esplanade but only for minutes at a time. Problems are not isolated to the the Island – my father in law lives within the M25 and cannot get a signal from EE either, despite attemps at using a signal booster.

3. James's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 12:29pm

I live in Ryde, right by the high school and for the whole of pell hurst road and pell lane my signal is erratic, i can start a phone call with four bars and after 20 seconds loose signal completely, other times i will have no signal at all or one bar. When you look on the orange site it says that there should be good reception, but it’s awful. As I’m in a rather busy area of Ryde coverage should be allot better. Apart from the signal at home I’m happy with Orange though, everything else has been fine for me.

4. Agent Orange's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 12:30pm

This lack of service from Orange is totally outrageous.

I have a contract with Orange, they expect me to pay each month and I expect a service.

I’m keeping to my side of the bargain and they have failed.

I expect to receive a refund of charges since 27th September.

• Julie Holden's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 12:49pm

Hi i live in the Ventnor Bonchurch area and have been experiencing problems since end of September came back for a week and now nothing for a week! Did not pay anything for last month said they would give me a month free, too blimmin right as i could not use my phone! Just rang them today and am awaiting a call back after her manager is out of a meeting! If this is not sorted out i want to get out of my contract but don’t know if other companies will be any better? Would like to know if anyone knows that if a breach of contract is proved if they can still charge to get out of contract? Angry much yes!

5. cherrill's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 12:45pm

At last we feel not alone with this problem. I have only just signed up with T-Mobile on a monthly contract although our other phone is with a Virgin contract (twinned with EE) and has had problems in the Steephill area since September, no signal at all again today yet full signal in Pier Street just now! Thanks to OTW for highlighting the problem but whether this is temp or permanent we wait to see!

6. rjc's comment is rated -1 Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 12:58pm

When a mast needs to be erected, it’s sorry not in my backyard. Then they all start whining because they can’t get a signal for most of the Island. I accept Ventnor has problems, it always has, with radio, tv and now phones. But look on the bright side Ventnor teenagers will not evolve with a shuffling walk, hunched back and pointed finger from continual texting. You might even get a conversation with one. I switch mine off when down that way as it tries to register with a french station. There must still be a cable buried somewhere from the days when Clarks TV shop used to pipe the signal in. Perhaps this could be modernised and used.

7. Knocker's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 1:02pm

I have been on a Orange contract phone for a year, we live in Carisbrooke and the signal is terrible to the point we have to lean on windows in certain rooms to have a broken conversation. my contract still has 6 months on it so I am paying for a service that is sub standard and am tied for another half a year.

8. davimel's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 1:48pm

We live in Upper Ventnor and my wife always has a 100% Orange signal (or EE as it is now called)even in Town. She doesn’t get 3g and never has, but for her useage this isn’t a problem. I have Vodafone and again have no problem with 2g here in upper Ventnor but lose my signal completely in Town.
    O2 are the worst culprits with no signal at all here, but we both managed to escape our contracts a few years ago when we were told it was fine!

9. damianiw's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

9.Nov.2012 3:59pm

I’m not going to try and sound positive about orange – their custoner service when my payg orange sim consumed 60.00 over 2 days due to an error on their system led me to leave however as I live over the Bembridge side of the island O2 and Three have poor signals, Vodafone is ok but useless in seaview where I also go so I went to virgin who are carried on the orange/tmobile network.

For me this is the best signal but I’m fully aware how awful coverage is on the island all the networks have blackspots here.

It would be nice if these companies sorted their 2g and 3g network coverage before moving to 4g, anyone tried getting decent 3g speeds in Newport on O2?

Unfortunately as always its down to money – cities generally = better coverage, its aslo people not wanting masts if they do want to put them up – we can’t have it both ways!

10. lardi's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

10.Nov.2012 3:55pm

Orange EE)signal now back on. The most user unfriendly company I have ever met. Their helpline doesn’t

11. lardi's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

10.Nov.2012 4:01pm

“EE” = Extremely Exasperating

12. adriansmall's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

10.Dec.2012 8:13am

I’ve moved from the mainland to Totland and there is no Orange signal in the street where I live. Unbelievable in the 21st Century.

Things began to deteriorate on the mainland when Orange/T-mobile became EE, but to have zero signal is unacceptable.

EE/Orange do not care.

13. cynic's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

10.Dec.2012 9:44am

Normally Orange has been OK in Bembridge but recently the network had been up and down like erm… a fiddler’s elbow!

Worse than that the EE website did not work when I tried to top up online. The “Orange is aware of the problem” banner has been there for some days!

Sheesh! What a way to lose money even on a cash cow business like mobiles!

14. BRIAN's comment is rated -1 Vote +1 Vote -1

10.Dec.2012 10:12am

I moved to Orange from O2 because of poor to non-existant signals. In discussion with O2 they said the Island was not a priority for investment so I thought in that case O2 is not a priority for me.

I must say that Orange have been OK for me so far but I wouldn’t trust any of them. Now retired, I have given up the contract and am on pay as you go. If Orange starts playing up, I can easily change to another provider. It’s a a bit of a problem if you have just entered into a contract and discover the service is rubbish.

• No.5's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

10.Dec.2012 2:36pm

Been an Orange user for years, reception was always good in Shanklin (mast is on top of the theatre) and non-existant in Sandown….

SInce EE I have brilliant reception (and 3G) in both towns

15. JonD's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

14.Feb.2013 11:11am

I purchased a Blackberry Bold from Phones 4U(P4U)just after Christmas. It will not function properly on the Island especially Bembridge. P4U exchanged the phone because they and Orange (EE) said it must be faulty. The new one did not work either. I spent hours on the phone to Orange support and contracts and they did not want to know and refused to cancel the contract despite there being clauses to protect the user; the said it was P4U’s responsibility and they say it is EE’s problem not theirs. I have checked with the Blackberry Forums and it appears to be a well known fault that Berry Bolds fail to lock on the correct signal if the prime one is weak. I am now stuck with no phone in Bembridge and I am very frustrated angry with these appalling companies

16. tulsevent's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

30.Jul.2013 6:00pm

Is it too late to re-open this topic? We seem to have lost our orange, T-Mobile, ee signal in Ventnor for 2 months now but I can’t get any information from orange. Does anyone know anything about the problem?

17. mojo's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 2:34pm

Well here we go gain!! No orange mobile signal in the Ventnor area since Thursday 14th November and finding it difficult to find out how to report this problem without ringing Orange who will persistently ask what the make and model is for my phone and completely ignore the fact that I can tell them it works perfectly when I drive a mile out of the town so the make and model is irrelevant!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr !!!!

18. gurty's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 2:42pm

I think it’s important to keep this topic running, it’s not good enough.

I live in Ventnor and I am on 3 and the signal is brilliant, in fact I haven’t found a part of the island where it isn’t more than acceptable. I have been on O2 ( I believe Tesco use their network too) and that was OKish, vodafone was OK too but 3 has by far been the best in my experience

• Cicero's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 3:37pm

EE service is intermittent in Bembridge but I have found a workaround.

It seems that EE saves bandwidth by switching channels from mobiles that are not being used for a period of hours.

Whenever this happens to me, I switch off and restart. The phone then seems to be recognised as a “new” channel and I get comms straightaway. Worth trying.

19. ohmy's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 3:10pm

This is what is called ‘progress’,how did you exist before mobile phones,that’s it, you used the landline, well perhaps you ought to think about going back to the good old landline. It’s not essential that you have a mobile phone,it’s just a must have,and the companies know that and play on it. So if you look around it’s not really ‘progress’ after all.

20. Ed Mew's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 5:15pm

When I get into my car my phone automatically connects to my stereo via bluetooth. Recently I have noticed while driving around it keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting. This happens if the signal goes. The above story and comments lead me to believe that it is the orange signal that is the problem. Not good as I use my phone for business purposes, to take bookings!!!

• Cicero's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 5:44pm

Might be a problem with mast coverage and going between coverage areas. It used to happen to me a lot on motorways journeys.

Voda used to issue a mast coverage map, does EE issue one for the Island?

• woodworker's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 6:22pm

the network signal shouldnt affect bluetooth at all. it might be something in the phone settings – if you dont have a network signal, theres no point in maintaining a bluetooth connection. There may be a way to maintain the bluetooth even when the network signal drops out.
      unfortunately the only thing to be done about the network signal is to keep on at your network provider until they sort their lives out.

• Ed Mew's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 8:52pm

I have had this system for a while Woodworker, had no problem before! I have checked the phones system and all seems to be correct! It only happens when I go between different locations! My phone suddenly lights up saying Hands free disconnected and then after a few minuets says reconnected !!!

• woodworker's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Nov.2013 9:26pm

you say it only happens when the signal goes. so is it really that much of a problem? if you have no signal, theres no need for hands free is there?
          when going between locations, there is likely to be some dropout of signal as you pass between cell areas. with phones getting lighter, battery life is at a premium. it seems reasonable a phone would disconnect its bluetooth automatically if there is no signal from the cell. my phone never loses signal when travelling, but then its old and doesnt try to conserve battery.
          there may well be a setting to allow you to keep a signal near the edges of a cell area, at the expense of battery life. If your phone is plugged into the cigarette socket that wouldnt be a problem would it?