Isle of Wight top retirement spot in UK (for now)

Although the top spot at the moment, trends are changing and those yet to retire have different priorities a new report reveals.

Ventnor cascade

If you were looking for somewhere in the UK to spend your retirement years, you’d probably want to find a spot where the pace is slower, the views are greater and the risk of crime is lower.

Where better than the Isle of Wight? Indeed that’s what many retirees also thought.

Pensions research carried out by LV= (Liverpool Victoria Insurance Co) shows that the Isle of Wight tops the table as a retirement destination for pensioners, with 41.88% of residents claiming the state pension here.

All to change?
LV= say ‘retirement revolution’ is underway. Despite the top ten retirement destinations currently being by the sea, those who’ve yet to retire have different priorities.

The research revealed that they hold being close to amenities such as a good public transport network (43%), access to bars and restaurants (30%) and culture and entertainment (27%) far greater than proximity to the sea (19%).

It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out over the next twenty years or so.

Source

Image: © Used with permission of Mike Vallender

Wightfibre sponsors the Isle of Wight News by OnTheWight

Tuesday, 5th March, 2013 11:21am

ShortURL: http://wig.ht/2ayM

Filed under: IW In The News, Island-wide, Isle of Wight News, Top story

1. greenhey's comment is rated +4 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.Mar.2013 12:33pm

My wife comes from Ventnor and me from Merseyside, but I have been coming to the island since the 70s.

We are retiring now, and will move to be near the sea ( currently live near Oxford).

There is so much about the island we love, but I couldn’t deal with living on the island. For a start, if you want to go anywhere you have to accept wasting two hours on ferried, and paying £60-70 a time; and the healthcare worries me.

I think travel to the mainland will be more and more the norm for serious and middling conditions.

I also find a frustrating narrow-mindedness on the island, which I suppose comes from the isolation.If I had grown up with it, I probably wouldn’t be bothered, but at 65, not sure now if I could deal with it.

Will still be there a lot though!

• tryme's comment is rated +4 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.Mar.2013 9:18pm

I’d be interested in what you mean by the narrow-mindednesss, greenhey.

I lived for years in a large UK city & have met many others here similarly. And loads of us travel all over the world while based here. Without evidence it sounds like one of those sterotypes (that arise about any area). And every time I’m on the mainland I am reminded that there is nothing very special about people there & their attitudes – or rather, we are all special.

2. Don Smith's comment is rated +5 Vote +1 Vote -1

5.Mar.2013 1:12pm

Only set back is the ferry – If you are concerned about health care reside nearer to St Mary’s – The best health care in the UK.

The locals are friendly and easy to get on with. If the ferry puts you off, consider Devon or Dorset.

Personally I would never leave the IoW; the wife would see to that:-)

3. pallance's comment is rated +6 Vote +1 Vote -1

6.Mar.2013 9:18am

I would say to anyone who thinks we are narrow minded on the Island to exercise their right to go back to where they come from.

4. davimel's comment is rated +5 Vote +1 Vote -1

6.Mar.2013 11:08am

Islanders are not any more narrow minded than anyone else in my experience. I accept SOME folk can take some getting used to, but isn’t that the same everywhere? There are also a few xenophobic Islanders who should be avoided, but you can’t fail to spot them,,, they are the ones who sit in the same seat in the pub night after night having the same conversation about who is ‘more’ Islander,,, as in “my family go back 10 generations” etc etc… but to be honest, they wouldn’t want to befriend anyone who can’t prove at least 5 generations here so the issue will never come up.
    The main problem is with the tourists who visit here time after time and they think that everyone is just like the hotel owners, shopkeepers etc when in actual fact there is a tourist industry, and then there’s the rest of us! We dont tend to be impressed with what you have got, or what you have brought here, we are just normal folk with normal issues trying to get by like everyone else in the country. We just happen to be blessed with the finest Views, Beaches, Walks etc etc in the world. If that isn’t enough for you, then don’t live here.

5. greenhey's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

7.Mar.2013 11:30am

I should explain a bit more, then.
    I haven’t been comning to the island as a tourist.My first wife’s mother lived in Wooton, and I visisted their and her social circle for amybe 10 years.
    My wife now comes from Ventnor.We have been married for nearly 20 years, and we are over there 4-6 times a year, and not staying in hotels.We were there for a month in January.
    In that whole time I have only stayed in hotels or B and B maybe 3 or 4 times.
    I have spent a lot of time with island people, and there are a lot of people I like and get on with.
    What I meant about “narrow-minded” was that people I have known have generally been almost entirely focused on what happens locally, far more than in any community I have lived in or visited in my life.
    For me, it’s not surprising to find that. But what I am saying is that after over 60 years elsewhere, I doubt I could live with it full-time.
    as you say, if you don’t want that don’t come; and in my post I in effect said that.
    The island will always be special to me, but not as a place to live.

• tryme's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

7.Mar.2013 6:54pm

Maybe it’s because we like where we live!

There’s an argument that it’s healthier to be involved in ‘real life’ locally, something you can take part in & influence; rather than try to live life elsewhere at second hand, as though another section of society’s life is more important than your own.

Plenty of people here do join up with stuff in the cities & take a real interest in national & international issues. And I’ve experienced people in cities focussing on their locality – making it a vibrate thing to make friends & form cultural alliances on their own doorstep.

Maybe it’s just that the in-laws get you down sometimes!