Island Independent councillors to be supported by new Association

The purpose of the Association is to support and assist the elected Independent members and to follow the Bell Principles and the Framework for Change.

island-independents-post-election-count-2013

Chairman of the Association, Peter Whiteman shares details with OnTheWight readers. Ed

Last night, Monday 12th August, the Association of Island Independents was formed in Newport, Isle of Wight.

The concept of an Association was first considered after the successful campaigning on the Island at the local elections in May, with their role being to support the Independent members of the Parish, Town and County Councils on the Island.

Support and assist the elected members
The Association is formed of people from across the Island who are interested in the removal of any political control within the Isle of Wight Council and wish to see the success of the first Independent Isle of Wight Council and the continuation of their work in to the future.

The purpose of the Association is to support and assist the elected members and to follow the Bell Principles and the Framework for Change.

The Association is looking to work with groups and charities across the Island, to further the interests of residents and improve the Island for all residents.

Management Committee
The Management Committee comprises of Peter Whiteman – Chairman, Wendy Cook – Vice-Chair, Alexander Gryffe – Secretary, Mike Powell – Treasurer and Board Members: Vanessa Churchman, Jude Ferris, Heather Humby, Karen Lucioni, Jon Luckett, Harry Rees and Vincent Valvona.

1. steephilljack's comment is rated +12 Vote +1 Vote -1

13.Aug.2013 3:48pm

Before the Wise Guys get here and say “Hey, look, they’ve formed a political party” let me say that the longer we keep national party ideologies out of local government the better we will be.
    OK, over to you guys now…

• woodworker's comment is rated +6 Vote +1 Vote -1

13.Aug.2013 4:10pm

100% agree. This isnt a political party. However, an association cannot lead to any sort of block voting. I hope all the Independents can stand up to any sort of pressure to influence their vote – if that actually happens. I dont beleive it will.

• bayboy's comment is rated -4 Vote +1 Vote -1

14.Aug.2013 12:08am

LOL – looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but you say it’s not a duck??

• steephilljack's comment is rated +11 Vote +1 Vote -1

14.Aug.2013 12:32am

It’s not a duck as you can see from the Cabinet voting today on BT broadband for rural areas.
        Some Indies voted for it, others voted to defer: that’s healthy IMO.

• John M Luckett's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

14.Aug.2013 10:02am

@ bayboy – “looks like a duck etc etc”

- the last administration drove me and a lot of people quackers ;)

• Cicero's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

16.Aug.2013 10:14am

I once thought of joining the Conservative Club in Shanklin to take advantage of their good food and cheap drinks. However, the application form committed me to provide undying support to the Tory party. As I would have vomited the good food and drink if so called upon, I decided not to join.

As a result although I support the non-party allegiances of Independents, I am wary of committing myself to somethings if I do not previously inspected the Rules and Constitution.

So @Alex, when will the draft Constitution of the Association of Island Independents be available for inspection?

(I note that it has already elected a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Board without suggesting these elections should be ratified by the members when the Association is formally launched. Is that really in the spirit of democracy?).

2. retiredhack's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

13.Aug.2013 4:16pm

How does one join?

• Alex's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

13.Aug.2013 4:44pm

Those wishing to join the Association can email membershipassocii@gmail.com
      Please include full name, address, post code & contact telephone number. Please state in subject line of email ‘Membership Application’
      Please also state any other information that may be helpful
      Membership is open to all people, resident on the Island & over the age of 18

3. Bystander's comment is rated -8 Vote +1 Vote -1

13.Aug.2013 4:44pm

The Judean People’s Front, us?

Never, we’re the People’s Front of Judea!

4. Cicero's comment is rated -8 Vote +1 Vote -1

13.Aug.2013 6:03pm

What are the “Articles of Association” of the Association?

• Alex's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

13.Aug.2013 9:08pm

I think you mean Constitution, as not being a company the Assoc. of Island Independents would not have Articles of Association.
      All those who apply, prior to September 14th, will be invited to our meeting at the end September, where the Constitution will be available.

• Cicero's comment is rated -3 Vote +1 Vote -1

14.Aug.2013 8:30am

Why cannot I see the draft Constitution first before deciding if I want to apply and attend?

• Cicero's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 8:08am

I am puzzled as to why people apparently object to my request to see the draft Constitution of the Association before I decide to join or not. What is THEIR reason?

Here is MY reason.

……………………….

(I note that the Association has already elected a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Board without suggesting these elections should be ratified by the members when the Association is formally launched. Is that really in the spirit of democracy?).

• Alex's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 1:04pm

Hello Cicero,

The Association has been launched, at the AGM on Monday members were elected to those positions.
            Should you wish to become a member the details are as above and before signing your application form you are welcome to attend the meeting in September and look over the Constitution, as are all members & prospective-members.

• tryme's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 1:19pm

Perhaps Cicero’s most pressing question must be, in his own words, will it be possible for him to “take advantage of [the Association's] good food and cheap drinks”, without having to commit himself to anything much. Surely the answer can be given in just a few words…. ;-D (Only kidding Cicero)

• Cicero's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 1:23pm

@Alex

Your reply at 1.04 pm today implies that despite the Association having an inaugural AGM and electing officers that the Constitution does not exist at the moment… or am I mistaken?

@tryme LOL! Howver good cheap food and drink would be a bonus!

5. kevin Barclay-Jay's comment is rated -5 Vote +1 Vote -1

16.Aug.2013 3:33pm

Saw this in the CP today with quotes by Churchman and Humby…. so an ex Liberal and an ex Tory want to offer support to the mainly Island First Independents.

Buts its not political

Churchmans and Humbys support for Blezzard in the last election was purely political and if the want to keep politics out of local government then they shouldnt get involved

• just a little one's comment is rated +3 Vote +1 Vote -1

16.Aug.2013 5:57pm

Kevin, that is exactly why they should get involved. Everyone has a voice and if they feel that the Island Council should not be political then they have the right to say it. Just because they supported Bob Blezzard at the last election does not mean that they do not believe in what they have said, only that they feel he is the best candidate on the day.
      I would like to keep politics out of local government, however, I have a political bias to one of the three main parties. I do feel though that, at the present time, the Independents are the right party for the Island in the main. I am just sorry that there are some who stood as an Independent, as a means to an end, and on the back of others, and were successful.

• bayboy's comment is rated -4 Vote +1 Vote -1

16.Aug.2013 11:37pm

Sounds even more like a duck to me! Ha Ha

I can’t believe that ex labour, sorry ex Lib Dem, sorry again, ‘Independent’ Bob Blezzard is now non political. Some people really are gullible or two faced. Humby did all she could to promote Blezzard despite his history. just shows what values such Independents actually have – None?

• kevin Barclay-Jay's comment is rated -1 Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Aug.2013 7:54pm

exactly my point…Blezzard adopted the label and was only sucked into the Independent Group after the election to make up the numbers. This man is a political butterfly, flitting from one label to another to best suit his ambition and then inventing reasons for leaving when his ambition is thwarted

• kevin Barclay-Jay's comment is rated -2 Vote +1 Vote -1

17.Aug.2013 7:56pm

Lets see if Blezzard is still opposed to the Broadway Centre redevelopment (Humbys pet project)

But its not political

• just a little one's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 10:31am

Kevin, I have been told by many who have worked with Heather in the past that she may well have changed her views on various parts of the Broadway Centre redevelopment.

As for Bob I have attended various meetings with him and have noted that recently he has “toned” down. He cares about Sandown more than a political label and perhaps if you tried talking to Bob and listening you might learn a lot.

It does seem to me that since you failed to get elected either to the Island Council or Sandown Town Council you have become very bitter. Perhaps it might be worth channelling those negative feelings elsewhere, perhaps join Sandown Town Partnership and put something back into the community. This might help with your political aspirations in the future.

I also find this habit of calling people by their surname’s rather rude and uncalled for. If you must continue in this vain perhaps a Mr or Miss prefix might tone down your comments. (Who would have thought that the time would come when I felt it necessary to stand up for Bob?)

• kevin Barclay-Jay's comment is rated -1 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 1:24pm

I was bitter before the election….these councillors do nothing for this town and apathy re-elects them.

I will wait and see if the Broadway plan has been pulled, I’m sure they didn’t like the publicity we put out.

I have spoken to Blezzard and as long as we stick to Bradford FC its fine…unfortunately his ‘mis-truths’ about leaving the LibDems and Finance Commity will for ever tarnish his honesty (for those who care about it)and his attitude to other candidates during the election (not me) was abysmal..and as for the gloating (its a small town) :)

What I learnt from Bob is how hard you have to work to get elected and I can never question his desire and drive during elections..unfortunately, having spoken to other local councillors, working with him is a completely different kettle of fish, a number saying his election is a disaster for Sandown…we shall see in due course if they are right.

PS already on the Business Association and Pubwatch as well as running a very popular FB page about the town..my fight for Sandown will continue no matter

• just a little one's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 2:52pm

Kevin, pleased read what I said carefully. I did not say the plan for the Broadway Centre had been pulled only that it is being said by councillors and ex-councillors “in the know” that Heather may well have changed her view on some aspects of the plan.
            In my view the plan as it is now outweighs the benefit to the town.
            I note you are in the local Business Association as well as doing other community things. I hope that the Business Association work with the Council rather than as a stand alone entity. All too often you have non elected groups trying to tell those that have been democratically elected what to do.
            Sandown has a long way to go, but Ventnor is proving it can be done. What you need there is another David Bartlett to move the town forward. I have been astonished in the past to see some of the press releases put out by the clerk, obviously written by her.

• kevin Barclay-Jay's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 12:31am

and here we have another un-elected group……playing politics but claiming to oppose politics.

Indeed, Ventnor is an ispiration to towns at the bottom and trying to revitilise and if you fancy lending use Dave Gartlett we would be very appreciative…we should already have a vacancy if decency mattered in Sandown

• kevin Barclay-Jay's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 12:32am

sorry Bartlett

6. John M Luckett's comment is rated +5 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 9:02am

Let us not underestimate the Island Independent groups taking control of IWC was an incredible achievement with very limited resources except for creative thinking,team spirit and hard work. As part of the campaign I will never forget the positive atmosphere at our meetings prior to Elections. It is important that if the elected group are to be supported effectively then there needs to be some form of formal organisation and this is the start of it. Why not?

The “Framework for Change” document is Island produced from Island people who care about the future and is something we can be justly proud of and is a great model on how our Island can be run, independently from party political dogma and centralised control. That is why people voted for INDEPENDENT thinking.

It is sad that some people seem unable to move on and continue with the old patterns of behaviour, posturing and negative rhetoric – that is what got us in such a mess in the first place – as for Councillor’s previous political backgrounds can I remind KBJ and BayBoy of the Bell Principle’s which they all have signed to and without exception will be expected to follow.

@ Cicero, you have been given a contact e-mail in this thread if you are interested in joining, go and speak to someone if you have concerns, then you can make an educated decision as to whether you wish to be part of it – or not. But don’t keep bleating about not being given a copy of the Constitution. Heavens if Simon & Sally published the Constitutions from Labour Tory Lib Dem and UKIP we would all be comatosed through boredom!

• Bystander's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 12:26pm

I don’t think Cicero is bleating on, that is negative rhetoric, you want people to sign up and I think his request is reasonable given the claims of being open and transparent.. Why not persuade him here and perhaps you might also persuade others who otherwise might not have the desire or the time to go and seek out the answers themselves.

• Cicero's comment is rated -3 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 4:33pm

@John M Luckett “Heavens if Simon & Sally published the Constitutions from Labour Tory Lib Dem and UKIP we would all be comatosed through boredom!”

Well… you might be! Others have the mental resilience to investigate what is expected of the members of associations that support political parties.

(I already explained why I was unhappy with the Conservative Party Club constitution. Suppose I had not bothered to read it, then it would have been dishonest of me to join and refuse to live up to my promises.)

It seems to me that there is a reluctance to admit that there is no draft constitution for the Independent Association.

• Alex's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 10:56pm

You’re correct. There is no Draft Constitution

It is fully ratified & signed, it has been accepted by the current members, & should people wish to join, it will be available to them, the first instance of this will be at the September meeting

If it’s any help it just sets out the terms of the Association & the roles within it. If you’re curious, as mentioned above, apply & attend September meeting, should you wish to not proceed with membership there is no compulsion on you to do so

• Cicero's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

19.Aug.2013 7:55am

@Alex

Phew! Like pulling teeth! Why did you not say that before :-))

Now given that it exists and has been ratified by the founder members, why are you loath to publish it?

7. tryme's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 5:22pm

I don’t know whether the Indies have a Constitution now or whether it will be Saturday before they have one. It strikes me that little could be easier than using the email link provided.

If the Indies want to ensure they check out the identity of potential members of the Association before they send them details, I don’t blame them one bit. (Not that I know this is so). Publish the Constitution here and watch all the carping that comes up from any detractor? If they can avoid any of that by being a bit more careful, that seems a good idea.

The last thing they need is time taken up with a lot of de-stabilising rumour and unnecessary argument.

• Bystander's comment is rated -1 Vote +1 Vote -1

18.Aug.2013 10:31pm

but they risk appearing arrogant and arousing suspicion

• Cicero's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

19.Aug.2013 8:02am

@tryme ” Publish the Constitution here and watch all the carping that comes up from any detractor? If they can avoid any of that by being a bit more careful, that seems a good idea.”

Understandable but neither democratic nor in the spirit of “transparency and openness” that the Independent group promised and appears to be delivering to date.

{BTW I voted Independent but am unwilling to join any political organisation without investigating it first. My disability prevents my attending the meeting- hence my request for sight of the constitution.]

• tryme's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

19.Aug.2013 8:34pm

I don’t think it’s worth getting into a lather about. They published their Framework for Change, we have taken part in the Election, we can attend council and committee meetings and ask questions….They’re now setting up an Association: that part’s their business, a means of support. Let them sort it out and then invite us in when they’re ready.

It’s not the case that everyone has to own everything about the Indies. Next thing you’ll want cameras installed in each of their bathrooms in the interests of transparency – give them a break! There are plenty of people would love them to be an open book all the time – all the better to carp at them as soon and as often as possible. I hope they’re not naiive enough to allow that.

• woodworker's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

19.Aug.2013 8:47pm

Cicero, you claim it is like pulling teeth – an email address was given for membership applications – why cant you just email that address and request the information you require before joining? I am quite sure Alex will be willing to send that information to you rather than you attending a meeting if you explain why you cannot attend.
        In any case, ranting about it on here is getting old now.

• Cicero's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 8:20am

Yeah! You are both right! Even I am getting bored with the subject so my last word on it! :-))

I hope the Association is successful and does not descend into internecine into party politics like its sisters in that arena.

Pax!

• woodworker's comment is rated -1 Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 3:46pm

Thats strange, from your comments I got the impression that you wanted to see the constitution because you were interested in joining… yet now you are bored of it? What was the real reason you wanted to see the constitution and kicked up such a fuss?

8. ALLAN's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 8:28am

I attended the meeting last week and asked for and was given a copy of the constitution ,now having had time to read through it there is nothing contained in it that would be in anyway secret or sensitive ,it reads as most constitutions would of any association ,The object is to support and help the elected members in any lawful way they can and to encourage as many people as possible to take an interest in the way our island is run ,

9. Don Smith's comment is rated +2 Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 10:20am

For twelve months I tried to get my disabled parking bay
    re-marked. Inconsiderate people were hogging the space, some even going on holiday and leaving their car in the space.

I wrote to Highways, Councillor Pugh, Secretary State for Transport, The IoW MP, The Chief Constable, and the Prime Minister – All replied, and expressed their sympathy; nothing was done.

The new IoW Council were elected, so, living in hope, I wrote to my NEW Councillor, Shirley Smart.
    Her reply was very brief, ” Will Chase”.

The disabled parking bay was remarked within a fortnight.
    Thank you Councillor Smart.

Long live the Independents, Long may they reign.

10. just a little one's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 12:43pm

Well done Don. Didn’t you think of writing to Roger Dixey, your old councillor when you first had the problem? I only ask because you mention all sorts of people who were nothing to do with parking bays but didn’t seem to contact your councillor.
    Glad to note that Mr Cameron was not too busy running the country to write to you and express sympathy, he must be a very nice gentleman.
    Anyway good result, if you let me know your address I might pop along and use the space when next in Newport.

• mywifesheelsr2high's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 6:45pm

Instead of writing to Roger Dixey I would try whistling dixie. Well done Councillor Shirley Smart.

• Don Smith's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 7:49pm

I’m in the BT phone book. You will do so at your own risk; I do not jest. My sons will lift your car to the center of the road). A new tactical move.

Mr Cameron is up in the Highlands at this time stalking dear, my informer tells me.
      An Etonian Toff, with a rifle; could he not have a few shots at the Taliban?

• just a little one's comment not rated yet. Add your vote Vote +1 Vote -1

21.Aug.2013 11:14am

Glad you took the comment in the vain it was intended Don, getting all too serious on here sometimes.

Just one thing though even if the disabled space is outside your property it does not mean that this space is solely for your use. Anyone with a disabled badge is entitled to use it. Check with the police if you don’t believe me. I wouldn’t want your sons getting into trouble.

Anyway we have got off subject and I would not want Sally telling me off so no more comments on parking spaces.

11. Don Smith's comment is rated +1 Vote +1 Vote -1

20.Aug.2013 7:38pm

My replies did not come from the top dogs. Some sixteen year old intern most likely answered them; then the top dogs stamped their seals. As for the outgoing Councillor of my ward. Least said soonest mended. I did email him many times, I thought it prudent to give him the same miss as he did me, many times.
    Far too busy running their businesses some of them.

12. Bystander's comment is rated -2 Vote +1 Vote -1

12.Oct.2013 7:38am

Two months on how many have signed up to this association so far? And how many left after the Framework for Change was abandoned as aspirational?