The Isle of Wight is all about community

Community spirit can be found in the rural and urban areas on the Isle of Wight. We’ve gathered together stories that explicitly focus on the Island’s community to share with you.

They might be about a new volunteering scheme, charitable event or grants for local groups. If you have some community information you’d like to share with our readers, get in touch.

Les Miserables

Les Miserables

Wed 31 May to Sunday 4 June Performances at 7.30pm (Sunday at 2.30 only) Tickets priced at adult £7 and student £5 Box office 856206/855215 A Ventnor Theatre Group (Youth Division) Production Don’t know whether you’ve seen Les Miserables,

Wednesday, 10th May, 2006 10:22am

By Sally Perry

Les Miserables Coming To Ventnor

Les Miserables Coming To Ventnor

Thanks very much to Chris and Jeanie Brown from the Ventnor Theatre Group for the following piece about the upcoming performance of Les Miserables. It sounds like it’ll be a superb performance and it

Wednesday, 10th May, 2006 10:15am

By Sally Perry

Brian Lucas New Ventnor Town Mayor

Brian Lucas New Ventnor Town Mayor

We hear via the forum that Brian Lucas has tonight been elected Ventnor’s new Town Mayor. Champagne corks will be popping (or pints of Golden being poured) and we wish him luck in his new

Monday, 8th May, 2006 9:30pm

By Sally Perry with 3 readers' comments

Macnaughton-Howe Arts and Craft Festival

Macnaughton-Howe Arts and Craft Festival

The Macnaughton-Howe Arts and Craft Festival Association 2006 Exhibition – 11th & 12 May 2006 Every May for the last 50 years, Ventnor has held its own Arts and Craft Festival down at the Winter

Monday, 8th May, 2006 10:58am

By Sally Perry

Ventnor HSBC Cashpoint crashes

Ventnor HSBC Cashpoint crashes

Takings must have been down around Ventnor on Saturday night and Sunday as the _only_ cashpoint in town, at HSBC had crashed and wasn’t giving money out. I’d heard about it at DiG on Saturday

Monday, 8th May, 2006 9:51am

By Simon Perry

I Spy With My Ventnor Eye …. The Winner

I Spy With My Ventnor Eye …. The Winner

We’ve come to the end of our competition and have been really chuffed with the audience participation on this one. Thanks to everyone who joined in and well done to those of you who

Friday, 5th May, 2006 3:19pm

By Sally Perry with 4 readers' comments

Come And Meet Upbeat Pete

Come And Meet Upbeat Pete

Pete Melville, our new local bobby (that’s Neighourhood Police Officer to you sonny), has called a meeting to present to local residents and business owners his cracking ideas on how to bring everyone together

Thursday, 4th May, 2006 2:25pm

By Sally Perry with 6 readers' comments

OpenStreetMap For The Isle of Wight

Isle of Wight view by Paddy Wight

OpenStreetMap have chosen the Isle of Wight as the first place they'll have a OSM 'gathering' to thoroughly map a single area.

Thursday, 4th May, 2006 12:05pm

By Sally Perry with 5 readers' comments

Free Tennis In Ventnor This Saturday

Free Tennis In Ventnor This Saturday

Having just flicked through the excellent South Wight Chronicle, there are a few things of note, one being that this Saturday sees an open day for the Tennis Club on St Boniface Road. With tennis

Thursday, 4th May, 2006 10:22am

By Sally Perry

Isle of Wight Disease: Wiped Out The Bees

Isle of Wight Disease: Wiped Out The Bees

The Acarapis woodi mite became known as the Isle of Wight Disease in the early 1900s.

Wednesday, 3rd May, 2006 11:28am

By Sally Perry with one comment

I Spy With My Ventnor Eye … 25

I Spy With My Ventnor Eye … 25

And so it comes to an end …. Yes, this is the final image for our ‘I Spy With My Ventnor Eye’ competition … I think we all know who has got the most points

Tuesday, 2nd May, 2006 6:24pm

By Sally Perry with 2 readers' comments

I Spy With My Ventnor Eye: 24

I Spy With My Ventnor Eye: 24

The illusive ‘Guest’ got the last one right … it was on Mitchell Avenue. Surpirsed more of you didn’t guess that one faster. Anyway …. This next one might be just as easy for some

Tuesday, 2nd May, 2006 9:45am

By Sally Perry with one comment