Traffic light on red
Image: almani under CC BY 2.0

Draft Island Planning Strategy hits another snag in seven-year saga

After seven years in the making and costing the Isle of Wight council £660,000 … the authority’s ‘planning bible’ has been delayed once again, and there are now fears it could run out of time.

The draft Island Planning Strategy (DIPS) was back before members yesterday (Wednesday), where cabinet member Councillor Paul Fuller was seeking approval to send it out for one last public consultation before it would go to the government’s Planning Inspectorate for consideration.

The DIPS — among other things — would set the Island’s housing targets, try for more affordable housing discounts and update planning policies.

Spink: Call for return to cabinet
However, there were still some concerns, with Councillor Peter Spink calling for it to be returned to cabinet for them to reconsider various issues.

The issues include decisions around potential development sites allocated in the plan, ‘windfall sites’ and how local need is identified.

Amendments agreed
After a short break, Councillor Fuller agreed to Councillor Spink’s amendments, with 23 councillors in favour of the move, nine against and three abstentions.

While he accepted the change, Councillor Fuller warned if they were going to delay the DIPS further than the ‘very short period’ he could afford, the council was “in danger of running out of time”.

Fuller: “Dithered and delayed”
Councillor Fuller said the plan had been “dithered and delayed” and the longer the council leaves it, the more the data “starts to collapse”.

The DIPS will now return no later than the end of April to full council, either with the relevant changes made or an explanation from cabinet as to why not.

Jones-Evans: ‘A game of whack-a-mole’
Councillor Julie Jones-Evans called the situation ‘a game of whack-a-mole’ with more issues arising despite trying to move on with the plan.

She said the council could not afford to run out of time and start over again, and that the move was ‘really poor’ and not showing a responsible attitude.

Andre: Delayed long enough
Councillor Debbie Andre said the plan had been delayed long enough.


This article is from the BBC’s LDRS (Local Democracy Reporter Service) scheme, which News OnTheWight is taking part in. Some alterations and additions may have been made by OnTheWight. Ed

Advertisement
Subscribe
Email updates?
10 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Colin
21, March 2024 6:38 pm

Shambolic, the whole lot of them. They spend more time arguing about how they want to make decisions but are incapable of making any. Dither and Delay. And that’s coming from a councillor. They should be ashamed of themselves.

septua
21, March 2024 8:11 pm

Councillors each receive an allowance of ca. £9,000 p.a. to carry out their duties, and they receive more if they have extra responsibilities. How many employers would continue to pay employees this amount if they failed to carry out their job properly?

RootDown'92
Reply to  septua
21, March 2024 8:32 pm

Arguably the Cllrs who have repeatedly blocked the DIPS are doing what they were elected to do, as they proudly campaigned as nimby’s.
What £ they receive has nothing whatsoever to do with how the votes get tallied up.

karen
22, March 2024 12:51 am

Filibuster at its greatest extent over 7 years. Did anyone really think the originators would let it happen?

Angela Hewitt
22, March 2024 7:50 am

I love nimbys. They have stopped the courtry from being completely covered in concrete. However, in this case they can’t possibly be nimbys because they are holding up DIPS and allowing developers to carry on concreting without redress!!

Benny C
Reply to  Angela Hewitt
22, March 2024 1:36 pm

Exactly. Messrs Stewart, Ward, Churchman et al allowed the plan to lapse. How about holding them properly to account for the consequences? In aiming for other short term goals they trashed, properly trashed, our planning controls. Not a price worth paying, not communicated, quite possibly denied, but true.

billp
Reply to  Benny C
22, March 2024 2:47 pm

The previous plan has not lapsed. It was implemented in 2012 and can apply if necessary until 2027.

sjw1
22, March 2024 8:37 am

Let’s face it they have absolutely no intention of producing a plan, it’s just make-work & holding pointless meetings that only produce hot air. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious. What a shambles!

Snowwolf1
22, March 2024 2:40 pm

Lock them in a room and sort it out, the Council cannot afford to waste £660,000 of taxpayers money when they have already wasted enough on poor organisation and information gathering not to mention the inhouse bickering during the past to decades and seem to be getting worse. Start communicating and work as a team – it isn’t rocket science more a case of “too many Chiefs… Read more »

vitabrevis
23, March 2024 2:31 pm

So once again the Tories sabotage the Island Plan, allowing more opportunity for Tory-supporting developers to force their unwanted and destructive builds onto the Island. I feel for Cllr Fuller, one of the most genuine and dedicated members and who now has to explain to government why we STILL don’t have a plan. Look forward to yet more 4-bed mansions while the quota of “affordable” houses inexplicably… Read more »

reCaptcha Error: grecaptcha is not defined