‘Serious concerns’ have been voiced over a major development including at least 19 homes on the outskirts of the Isle of Wight’s county town.
Objections from Newport and Carisbrooke Community Council (NCCC) and members of the public have been filed against Gallantgreen’s readvertised hybrid plans for housing south of Forest Road, Newport.
The scheme, which includes access and infrastructure, a garage demolition proposal and an outline application for residential development, relates to land west of Hornbeam Close, the Willows, Aspen Close and north of Sylvan Drive.
Concerns raised by community council
A NCCC spokesperson said,
“Members expressed serious concerns regarding this readvertised application, noting that the issues previously raised by members (points three to 17) have yet to be acknowledged or addressed.
“Whilst members acknowledged the submission of an additional Ecological Impact Report, they considered that it failed to address the concerns raised by both the planning and consultation committee and members of the public.”
The concerns include the potential impact on flooding and surface water management, increased pressure on local roads, and the effect on wildlife and the natural environment.
Flood risk and ecology at the heart of objections
Hornbeam Close resident Karen Edwards said,
“The proposal would cause unacceptable harm to local ecology, biodiversity, green infrastructure and the character of the local environment.
“I object to the application on the grounds of flood risk, surface water management and drainage impact.
“The development would increase impermeable surfaces, introduce new roofs, roads, driveways and hardstanding, and may increase surface water runoff into an area already sensitive to drainage pressures.”
Applicant and highways respond
Gallantgreen’s agent, BCM, previously said seven of the homes included in the application already have consent, in a letter to planners.
The document said the management of runoff and pollutants can and should be controlled by planning conditions.
A submitted Ecological Impact Assessment from E3S Consulting on the applicant’s behalf said the proposal will not have a negative impact on the site and its surrounding habitats, species or ecosystems.
Highways service provider Island Roads made no objection, subject to highway safety conditions.
County Hall’s public consultation on application 23/01410/FUL ended on Monday 18th May 2026). A decision date has not yet been set.
This article is from the BBC’s LDRS (Local Democracy Reporter Service) scheme, which News OnTheWight is taking part in. Some alterations and additions may have been made by OnTheWight. Ed





