Isle of Wight CCG powers could be lost to the mainland

Some NHS commissioning activities will now be undertaken with other CCGs in Hampshire and NHS England.

Boardroon table

A new partnership between the Isle of Wight CCG and Hampshire could see some commissioning powers lost to the mainland.

The Isle of Wight CCG is one of the smallest in the country, and a discussion will soon start over which services will no longer fall under the IW CCG’s remit. However, no decisions have yet been made.

Part of Hampshire CCG partnership
The Island’s CCG became part of the Hampshire CCG partnership on 1st April 2018. The partnership consists of four other CCGs— Fareham and Gosport, North Hampshire, North East Hampshire and Farnham and South Eastern Hampshire.

The new accountable officer for the Isle of Wight CCG will be Maggie MacIsaac.

Significant pressures
A report, due to be go before the CCG’s governing body on Thursday (24th May) says:

“The Isle of Wight is a challenged health and care system with significant operational, safety, clinical and financial pressures.”

It says there is a ‘requirement for a significant transformation programme’ which is in the early stages of planning and delivery.

Some NHS commissioning activities, currently undertaken by the Isle of Wight CCG, will now be undertaken with other CCGs in Hampshire and NHS England. It is not yet known what form this new commissioning model will take.

Remodelling of acute services
In February, the Isle of Wight Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) gave the Acute Services Redesign plan the green light.

This will see 89 per cent of current activity retained at St Mary’s, with the other 11 per cent, likely to be specialised care, sent to the mainland.


This article is from the BBC’s LDRS (Local Democracy Reporter Service) scheme, which OnTheWight is taking part in. Some additions by OnTheWight. Ed

Image: Manhattan Loft under CC BY 2.0

Wednesday, 23rd May, 2018 2:17pm

By

ShortURL: http://wig.ht/2kRn

Filed under: Health, Island-wide, Isle of Wight News, LDRS, Top story

Any views or opinions presented in the comments below are solely those of the author and do not represent those of OnTheWight.

Leave your Reply

2 Comments on "Isle of Wight CCG powers could be lost to the mainland"

  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Email updates?
nickstuart
Another backward step for the Isle of Wight. Together with the mendacious PR spin that only 11% of services will go to the mainland. This includes most major care and I wonder how many acute cases requiring stays of 3 days or more will go from the Island? The CCG may be in a difficult position but the lack of transparency over the overall effects is short… Read more »
beacher
I says a lot that there has only been one comment in 3 days. Probably due to the realisation that this will all be pushed through regardless of what Islanders want. Fact. The IOW CCG is in serious trouble ( just hasn’t made the headlines like St Marys special measures). The previous Chief Oficer has disappeared and a new ‘chief officer’ imposed who is not the Isle… Read more »