stay safe graffiti

IW NHS Boss: Services nervously anticipating a further Covid surge following Isle of Wight Festival

The Isle of Wight’s top NHS boss has said she feels like a ‘party pooper’ for the Isle of Wight Festival, but has warned of the expected increase of Covid cases on the already stretched health services.

Having seen a summer surge of cases, pushing the Isle of Wight NHS Trust into dealing with a third wave of the pandemic, chief executive Maggie Oldham has said the services are nervously anticipating a further surge following the Isle of Wight Festival, which is set to take place next week.

Events that have already taken place this summer have seen a fallout of cases in the weeks following, with Cornish music festival Boardmasters linked to 4,700 new cases.

Rise in positive tests
With the influx of tourists to the Island, more mixing of people and the relaxation of protective restrictions, positive Covid tests on the Island have risen — with some days in the last month recording more than 100 new positive tests.

Click on image to see larger version

New positive Covid-19 tests over last three weeks

Government figures show between the last week of July and 1st September, 2,289 Covid cases were recorded on the Island — nearly a fifth of the Island’s entire cases since the pandemic began.

Oldham: “Please, everybody, do not be apathetic”
Speaking at the Isle of Wight NHS Trust Board today (Thursday), Ms Oldham said,

“It really makes me sad when I am out on the Island to see absolute apathy for wearing masks, social distancing and hand hygiene.

“Please, everybody, do not be apathetic, Covid has not gone away.

“I urge anyone who is out and about to follow government guidelines. We all have a part to play in trying to keep our hospital pressures at a lower level than we are currently seeing them.”

20 per cent of beds occupied by C19 patient
Expanding on some of the Covid risks the hospital is facing, chief operative officer Joe Smyth, said 20 per cent of the acute beds are now occupied by a Covid positive patient and a second intensive care unit has had to open, which is already ‘very, very full’.

Messaging will be stepped up
Director of communications at the trust, Kirk Millis-Ward, said it was being recognised nationally that messaging around measures to keep ourselves safe was not cutting through to the public in a way it had earlier in the pandemic. However, he said the public messaging before the Festival will be stepped up, working with other public organisations, and strengthened.

With up to 50,000 people anticipated to attend the Festival, organisers behind the event say it is taking precautions to ensure it goes ahead Covid safe, including asking people of their Covid status — through a vaccine passport, a negative lateral flow test or proof of immunity.

Festival: Ticket holders must adhere to Covid guidelines
A spokesperson for the Festival said,

“The Isle of Wight Festival is working closely with all relevant authorities and Public Health England to take the necessary precautions to keep everyone safe on-site and in the Island community.

“The event’s Covid-19 guidelines are on the official Website and all ticket holders must adhere to these to gain entry to the Festival.

“The Isle of Wight Festival is also operating under tight Covid testing controls during the site build.”

This article is from the BBC’s LDRS (Local Democracy Reporter Service) scheme, which News OnTheWight is part of. Read here to find about more about how that scheme works on the Island. Some alterations and additions may have been made by News OnTheWight. Ed

Image: Nick Fewings under CC BY 2.0

Advertisement
Subscribe
Email updates?
19 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Rhos yr Alarch
9, September 2021 2:52 pm

So whyever was it agreed to, in that case….??

andy
Reply to  Rhos yr Alarch
9, September 2021 4:38 pm

Because, if you haven’t worked it out already, all the Government, and their dumb sycophantic supporters care about, is wealth, not health.

Tamara
9, September 2021 4:04 pm

Taking every precaution to keep people safe, indeed! If the organisers really cared about the health and welfare of Islanders, they wouldn’t be holding this festival. Other festivals and carnival events have been cancelled this summer, so why not this huge event, which attracts mostly teenagers and twenties from the mainland, many of whom will not have been fully vaccinated? It’s all about money. There’s bound to… Read more »

hermit
Reply to  Tamara
9, September 2021 4:57 pm

Most festivals have actually taken place, as have the majority of major sporting events with 60-70,000 regularly attending every weekend. Unfortunately your points hold no weight when events are happening all over the country. The festival should go ahead. Caroline Giddings has been working with the Govt for months getting festivals and similar large events Covid safe, so this one is probably going to be the safest… Read more »

uosf9
Reply to  hermit
10, September 2021 8:08 am

The safest thing about this shambles will be Giddings bank account.

hermit
Reply to  uosf9
10, September 2021 9:57 am

How, when it’s owned by Live Nation?

lauque
Reply to  Tamara
9, September 2021 5:02 pm

Yes, the infuriating thing is that most of this WAS avoidable. I have no patience with the proposition that ‘we’ are responsible — it’s clear that there is no all-inclusive ‘we’, but two camps with very diffferent views about collective responsibility, in the absence of proper leadership on public health.

lauque
9, September 2021 4:25 pm

Walking through Newport at mid-day yesterday, I had sight of probably 200+ people. I saw exactly two who were masked. Similarly, most of the people I see waiting for buses/getting on or off are not masked, except the elderly. Even the big shops that were quick to adopt protective measures in the first wave have abandoned any attempt at risk control now. Such as: not having separate… Read more »

Colin
Reply to  lauque
9, September 2021 4:57 pm

lauque is correct about mask wearing in shops; it seems to have been all but abandoned. For the last 18 months I have been going supermarket shopping in the evening when it is quieter but since the influx of holidaymakers and their children who put their hands everywhere a couple of months ago it is not surprising that covid cases have risen on the Island. I wish… Read more »

hermit
Reply to  lauque
9, September 2021 4:58 pm

Social distancing, masks, etc have stopped because the message from Govt is telling people to do that.
You can’t blame people for following govt direction

Colin
Reply to  hermit
9, September 2021 5:23 pm

@ hermit
Anyone who believes anything a politician says needs to start thinking for themselves. The government are hopeless.

lauque
Reply to  hermit
9, September 2021 5:33 pm

Yes, you can blame people for following government direction when the government is headed by a proven liar and is widely becoming regarded as the worst in British history. Current Covid dashboard, seven days to 4 September, shows dark purple areas around Reading. West Berkshire cases: +52% Swindon cases: +25% Windsor and Maidenhead: 25% (24.9%) See also: Boardmasters What part of ‘our second ICU unit is filling… Read more »

septua
Reply to  lauque
9, September 2021 10:06 pm

I avoid shops as much as possible, particularly supermarkets. However I find most people in them are wearing masks. Out in the open air people, myself included, do not wear masks unless lots of people around. Yesterday I went to Portsmouth (to hospital) and back and despite notices about masks, only about half of the passengers on the catamaran wore them. Wightlink should refuse passengers without masks.

Patterson
9, September 2021 4:34 pm

Anyone with half a brain will know this is going to be an absolute **** show! Avoid travelling on the ferries, using public transport, taxis, going to Newport and the various gateways onto the island for a couple of days before the festival starts, during the festival, and for 3 or days after the festival, if you want to be safe. Avoid going to St Mary’s A&E… Read more »

Alternative Perspective
9, September 2021 10:17 pm

If a second intensive care unit has had to be opened up at St Mary’s hospital, then there is no denying the situation has become very serious.

lauque
10, September 2021 12:40 am

Amidst all the waffle about safety at the Festival, I have not seen any discussion about 30,000–50,000 people sharing toilets for four days. Even fully vaccinated people may be as little as 60% protected (AstraZeneca), and showing a negative test at the gate is mostly for PR because lateral flow tests are not that reliable. I can’t see how all this will fail to result in 6,000… Read more »

lauque
Reply to  lauque
10, September 2021 12:43 am

I forgot: if half the crowd are men, and they pee into their empty plastic pints — which they then chuck over the heads of the crowd nearby (who raises these troglodytes?!?!?!), or discreetly spill on the ground for other people to tread in, or worse, sit in —

VentnorLad
Reply to  lauque
10, September 2021 5:36 am

This sort of behaviour is not just limited to the men in attendance…

elemental
10, September 2021 9:49 am

Will the ferries be hiking their extortionate fares even more for the duration of this Infectious Disease Immersion, as is customary whenever event influx is foreseen?

reCaptcha Error: grecaptcha is not defined