March for Damien Nettles on Saturday morning (updated)

Islanders are invited to take part in a peaceful march through Newport tomorrow morning to raise awareness of three possible burial sites for missing teenager Damien Nettles.

Damien Nettles

Readers may remember the article we ran at the end of last month connected to the disappearance of Damien Nettles.

Cowes resident, Kaley Hall has organised a peaceful march which is due to take place tomorrow (Saturday 8th December).

The purpose of the march, which will be supported by 12 stewards and is taking place with the knowledge of the police, is to raise awareness of three possible burial sites for the missing teenager, which according to campaigners, the police refuse to search. Two sites in Parkhurst Forest and one in Gurnard.

Kaley says that police are focusing on one site in Parkhurst that was pinpointed by a medium and ignoring the other two sites that have been named by other living sources.

“How would you feel?”
She asks others to consider how they would feel if it were their child who’d been missing for 16 years.

“Imagine you are told of three possible locations where he could be lying, waiting to be found, how would you feel if you were then told by the police that having looked into all evidence they wouldn’t be searching these areas?” she said.

“Relentless in my search” says Damien’s mother
Damien Nettles’ mother, Valerie, said today, “I will be relentless in my search and will not take ‘NO’ for an answer when it come to my son. I will take as long as it takes or I have breath in my body. I will take on all those ‘suits’ who hide behind the badges and the titles and I will make them hear me!”

The march begins at 10am from Cineworld in Newport and the route go through the town and end at the police station opposite County Hall.

Update 13.50:
A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said, “We are aware of plans for a peaceful protest and march by members of the public campaigning over the case of missing Isle of Wight teenager Damien Nettles.

“Police are in contact with organisers as officers have a responsibility to help ensure any public demonstrations can take place lawfully, safely and peacefully.

“Hampshire Constabulary is grateful for the public’s continued interest and support for our efforts to find out what happened to Damien Nettles. Detectives are determined to solve this case with the help of the community.

“The crucial challenge in this case is separating fact from fiction. Only facts will allow our enquiries to locate Damien and the ultimate answers sought by police and the Nettles family.”

A reward of £20,000, funded by Hampshire Constabulary, remains on offer until the start of April 2013 for information leading to the location of Damien Nettles. Full terms and conditions can be requested by phoning police on 101 or going online to www.hampshire.police.uk

Senior investigating officer Superintendent Dave Powell added, “Whilst we appreciate and encourage the support of the public to help us to solve crimes, detectives in this case must act on tangible sources, which can be checked in line with established police procedures.

“Hampshire Constabulary will always value genuine efforts to pass on information that may prove helpful to police in their enquiries. However, no firm evidence has been provided to police by clairvoyants or séances.

“Other information provided to police about burial sites in Parkhurst Forest and Gurnard has been analysed, but did not prove credible based on our standards for sources.

“Any search for human remains requires a substantial investment of police time, expertise and resources. Officers would need verifiable information to justify such a search.

“Regrettably we must remember that Damien’s disappearance has been the subject of much misinformation and gossip over the past 16 years.”

Anyone with facts about the Damien Nettles case can contact Hampshire Constabulary by phoning 101 or emailing [email protected] Mini-Com users can call 01962 875000. The charity Missing People (formerly the National Missing Persons Helpline) can be contacted in confidence on Freefone 0500 700 700. Information can be given anonymously by phoning the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.

Friday, 7th December, 2012 9:13am

By

ShortURL: http://wig.ht/2aj6

Filed under: Isle of Wight News, Newport, What's On

Any views or opinions presented in the comments below must comply with the Commenting 'House Rules' and are solely those of the author and do not represent those of OnTheWight.

Leave your Reply

Be the First to Comment