Bailey’s in Shanklin had its last trading day on Saturday just past.
They’ve had quite a run there being as they originally opened 141 years ago, when the great-grandfather of the current Mr Bailey, John Bailey, opened the establishment’s doors in 1871. Over the years it expanded to include other parts of the corner-block site.
Given how long the shop had been part of Island life, we wanted to mark the closing.
Sandown and Cowes remaining open
We had a brief chat with the current Mr Bailey today as he was clearing up the left stock of the old building, “We’ve moved around the over the years – we used to have premises in Ventnor, Newport and even Southsea”, he told On The Wight, “Now we’re condensing down to two shops – Sandown and Cowes.”
On The Wight got in touch with Richard Priest – well-known for his videos about Shanklin’s history – who said, “It now leaves Abell’s as town’s oldest shop, and notably in WWII was opposite Shanklin United Reformed Church when the clock tower was struck by German bomb.”
Richard is also going to have a dig around in his collection of some historic photos of the shop.
The plans are to alter the site, but a shop unit will be available from rent and the rest of the premises will be converted into six living units.
Update: Many thanks to Richard Priest, who, true to his word, has pulled this postcard out of his archive of Shanklin memorabilia.