Solent Devolution

Solent Devolution arose after the original idea for a Southern Powerhouse faded, following a division between North and South Hampshire.

Now made up of the Isle of Wight, Southampton City Council and Portsmouth City Council, the Solent Devolution vision is to bring the areas together in a hope to benefit from the ability to collect 100% business rates, in place of the regional settlement grants that are being withdrawn by central government.

After the Conservative councillors took control of the Isle of Wight council in January 2017, the Devolution deal was scrapped as the Conservatives said they “wanted nothing to do with Portsmouth and Southampton”.

Gov scraps Solent Devolution bid … without telling all three councils, says Pompey and Soton (updated)

axe in hand

The Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton councils bid for a Solent Devolution to Government. Pompey and Soton say the government have scrapped it ... without telling the three councils involved. IWC responds. Full details ...

Friday, 5th October, 2018 10:02am

By Portsmouth City Council with 3 readers' comments

Plans for a Southern Powerhouse could be back on the table

Board table and chairs

The leader of Hampshire County Council has written to 11 district council leaders to “Re-engage and return to the original prospectus for a Combined Authority for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, together with the two LEPs and two National Parks".

Tuesday, 27th February, 2018 11:12am

By Sally Perry with 3 readers' comments

Isle of Wight MP raises question about future plans for Combined Authorities (updated)

Whole of Hampshire and Isle of Wight

MP Bob Seely has asks where the Secretary of State stands on combined authorities. Previously the Solent Deal was declared ‘dead in the water’ because the Island Conservatives did not want to part of a combined authority with Southampton and Portsmouth.

Tuesday, 1st August, 2017 3:15pm

By Sally Perry with one comment

Merger between Isle of Wight and Hampshire being considered by Conservatives, claim Indies (updated)

Two lanes into one

The leader of the Indies says it's understood a meeting is being held to discuss the possible merger of Isle of Wight and Hampshire councils. The Leader gives his response.

Thursday, 26th January, 2017 5:17pm

By Sally Perry with 51 readers' comments

Solent Deal dead after Conservatives ‘want nothing to do with Portsmouth and Southampton’ (Updated)

Peter Henley on the news

A week after the Isle of Wight Conservatives took power at the council, the Solent Devolution deal has been killed off. Here's what we know so far, as the story develops.

Thursday, 26th January, 2017 10:59am

By Sally Perry with 17 readers' comments

Solent Devolution Deal ‘left in the in-tray’ for ‘foreseeable future’

Wait sign

Sounds like plans for the Solent Devolution deal are not going to be forthcoming from the Government in the immediate future.

Wednesday, 21st December, 2016 3:59pm

By Sally Perry with 31 readers' comments

MP asks Chancellor whether the Isle of Wight deserves extra support (updated)

Andrew Turner - PMQs - IWC finance - 3 Feb 2016

Isle of Wight MP, Andrew Turner, asked the Chancellor whether he agreed the Island deserves extra support from the Government due of additional challenges.

Wednesday, 30th November, 2016 11:42am

By Sally Perry with 36 readers' comments

Conservatives lobby government to block financial help to the Isle of Wight say Indies

tug of war

The Island Independents say it's become clear that the Conservative councillors have no wish to support Islanders and are only interested in taking power and making cuts.

Friday, 25th November, 2016 9:45am

By Jonathan Bacon with 26 readers' comments

Formal application for Solent Combined Authority being submitted to Government

Solent leaders

A formal application for a Solent Combined Authority is being submitted to government after all of the councils involved approved the plans.

Tuesday, 25th October, 2016 3:54pm

By Lee Todd with 52 readers' comments

Letter: Why we’re concerned about a possible Solent Devolution Deal

solent region google maps

Conservative Isle of Wight councillor, Stuart Hutchinson, sets out why he (and colleagues) are concerned about the possible devolution deal with Southampton and Portsmouth.

Tuesday, 25th October, 2016 12:07pm

By Stuart Hutchinson with 27 readers' comments

Solent Devolution: Isle of Wight Executive vote to stay to hear Government offer (updated)

council-chamber-reading-papers

The Executive of the Isle of Wight council has decided to reject the outcome of last week's council vote - enabling them to stay at the Solent Devolution negotiation table so they can hear what deal might be on offer from the Government.

Monday, 24th October, 2016 6:41pm

By Simon Perry with 39 readers' comments

Live coverage: Executive to consider Solent Devolution motion (Updated)

Reporting with mobile phone from meeting -:

Although full council have voted against the motion, over 70 per cent of those responding to the public consultation voted in favour of moving power and funding to a combined authority. Tonight's Executive Committee will make their decision on the motion to explore the deal further.

Monday, 24th October, 2016 4:50pm

By Sally Perry with 46 readers' comments